Announcement: We will be taking a hiatus from group classes September-December 2018.
Our remaining classes for July and August are full.
Group classes are an appropriate starting point for dogs with no history of fear or aggression toward other dogs or people, and are especially recommended for most puppies under 16 weeks of age. If your concerns include fear or aggression, please contact us about private training prior to signing up for a group class.
Our group classes are held at: Veterinary Behavior at Illinois (adjacent to Medical District Veterinary Clinic), 2242 W. Harrison, Suite 100, Chicago, IL 60612.
Our very small classes, with 3-4 teams per session, afford lots of individual attention from the instructors.
- The $250 fee includes 6 sessions.
- For teams new to us, first session must be a humans-only orientation. Returning students do not need to attend orientation.
- Enrollment is rolling. That means teams start at staggered times, and as one team graduates, we have room for another to join.
- If you are a new client, your first session must be a humans-only orientation (dogs stay home).
- Group class enrollees and graduates get $20 off their first private lesson and our minimum package for private sessions is waived. This is a great option for new puppy owners, who can often use the extra help at home!
Ask about our discounts for repeat clients and referrals to friends and family.
Please scroll below the registration calendar for descriptions of the available classes and veterinary requirements:
WHICH CLASS IS RIGHT FOR ME?
- For dogs who are 6 months and older who have graduated from Puppy Start Right, or are new to Animal Behavior Training Concepts: Canine Manners Matter.
- For puppies 2-5 months of age: Puppy Start Right.
- Returning students who have completed Canine Manners Matter: Canine Manners Matter may be repeated multiple times, with teams working at individual levels.
- For dogs with specific behavior challenges, including fear or aggression related to people or other dogs, private lessons are a more appropriate starting point. Please contact us before registering if you are not sure if group class is right for you and your dog.
Please note: There are no refunds after orientation, or if no orientation is required, no refunds after the first session, as your fee has reserved a spot in our program to the exclusion of other teams.
FOR PUPPIES 2-5 MONTHS
PUPPY START RIGHT Congratulations on your new adoption! In this level, your pup will learn the simple but important behaviors that form the foundation of all other learning. Just as important, he'll gain crucial exposure to new environments, new people, new dogs, new objects, and veterinary and home-care procedures. This is known as socialization, and it is crucial: good puppy socialization now can help to prevent serious concerns later. Other topics covered include house training, crate training, and puppy nipping and mouthing. The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy program is available for those interested, and the price of the test is included in your fee.
Puppy classes are currently offered at on Tuesdays at 7 PM and Saturdays at 1:30 PM. All new teams start with a humans-only orientation; these are held approximately every 2-3 weeks on Tuesdays at 5:30 PM.
FOR DOGS 6 MONTHS AND UP
CANINE MANNERS MATTER Is your dog exploding out of puppyhood into full-blown adolescence? Just brought an adult dog into your household? In Canine Manners Matter we'll focus on the basic skills your dog needs to be a well-behaved member of the family, including sits, downs, and stays, loose-leash walking, coming when called, and polite greetings for family and visitors. We'll also teach fun tricks and enriching games you and your dog can play together. You'll learn how to communicate effectively with your dog and resolve common behavioral complaints in a positive way.
Canine Manners classes are currently offered on Thursdays at 7 PM and Saturdays at 3 PM. All new teams start with a humans-only orientation; these are held approximately every 2-3 weeks on Tuesdays at 5:30 PM.
Veterinary Requirements for Group Sessions
puppies under 4 months
Note: We require that the puppy has begun its vaccination series, but not that the series be completed before the start of class. Please see the American Society of Veterinary Behavior's position statement on the importance of early puppy socialization (pdf) for more information.
- Proof of post-adoption puppy wellness exam from current veterinarian
- Proof of start of puppy vaccination series from current veterinarian, including: distemper, parainfluenza, parvo, and bordetella
- Proof of rabies vaccination when deemed old enough per veterinarian
- Proof of intestinal parasite screen with negative results from veterinarian. If results of the intestinal parasite screen are positive: confirmation from veterinarian that puppy is undergoing appropriate treatment and cleared to attend group class.
- Proof of updated puppy vaccination records from veterinarian as series progresses. Client is responsible for bringing updated vaccination records to group sessions.
puppies and dogs 4+ months
- Proof of wellness exam from referring veterinarian
- Proof of completed vaccinations from veterinarian, including: distemper, parainfluenza, parvo, bordetella, and rabies.
- Proof of intestinal parasite screen within the last 12 months, with negative results, from veterinarian. If the results of the intestinal parasite screen are positive, proof that the dog is undergoing appropriate treatment and cleared to attend group class.
- Client is responsible for bringing updated vaccination records to group sessions.